The Booth!

This is the place for Technical Tips, Questions and Answers.

The Booth!

Postby Chris Richard » 09 Sep 2018, 22:38

Well, just about done. The frame is all set. The red side curtains are very temporary and are just taped on for these photos. It was leftover red fabric that was in the house. There was no top, either, as you can see in the picture with Punch and Joey. But this gives you the idea where I'm going. I got the whole thing thrown together for a show that got rained out, so it still has not made it's real world debut. I have some things to improve already, but I'm happy about how it come out.

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement. Comment away. . .

Chris Richard,
Fairhaven, Massachusetts, USA
Chris Richard
Beefy
Beefy

Re: The Booth!

Postby James » 10 Sep 2018, 09:03

Excellent, I really like the proscenium top panel design. I hope you enjoy your time in the booth now, rather than in the workshop.
Arnott's Gowns for Clowns, Est 1985
James
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris » 10 Sep 2018, 17:26

Definitely agree with James about the Pros top - a lovely clean and telling design.

As regards the roof, if you are using hands in front of face manipulation you do need a lightproof roof over the the back part, from the backcloth(scene curtain) to the rear otherwise your face will be visible through the scrim. However it is a good idea to leave the top open from scene curtain to the proscenium. Indoors or out some top light in addition to that from the front is useful.
Of course if you are mainly using the booth outdoors, and your climate involves rain, then this is not such a good idea. In my own case my solely outdoor booth has a full roof of waterproofed material, but my other two booths which are mainly used indoors are only roofed from the scenery back, there is a light slot at the front. In a gloomy room I then try to locate beneath an overhead light source.
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Richard Coombs » 10 Sep 2018, 20:29

Nice stuff Chris.
I too like the proscenium.

have fun using it now you've got it.

All the best
Richard
Richard Coombs
Joey's Jewels
Joey's Jewels

Postby Chris Richard » 10 Sep 2018, 23:18

Thanks for the comments!

Chris, this is hands in front of face, so I am going to have blackout material in back and a cover at least from the scenery back, just as you mentioned.

I also want to add some trim to the front edge of the stage. That front piece was just a ready made curtain valance from a department store. I need to doll it up a bit.
Chris Richard,
Chris Richard
Beefy
Beefy

Postby Chris » 11 Sep 2018, 12:43

Consider having a pop-out hole behind the playboard drape, invaluable for business (dog, croc, clown)
It's good to squawk!
Chris
Site Admin

Postby Chris Richard » 12 Sep 2018, 01:19

There is one, Chris. Or rather, a slit held shut at the top by two bits of velcro. The croc pops out nicely.
Chris Richard,
Chris Richard
Beefy
Beefy

Return to Punch Workshop